How was business for GAJ in the UAE during 2016?
2016 started slowly for us but started to pick up by the summer continuing on an upward trajectory for the remainder of last year and into 2017. This is evidenced in both the number of enquiries we are receiving and the number of projects being awarded. The outlook is positive and what started as a slow ebb a couple of years ago has gradually increased in scale and speed.
Could you provide details of some of the major projects within GAJ’s current portfolio (project name, scope, sector, etc.)?
We have seen an increase in the number of new schools as well as a surge in the number of new hotels in the region which currently accounts for approximately 60% of all new enquiries. We currently have a number of hospitality projects underway across the Middle East, specifically in the key tourist destinations of UAE, Oman and Saudi Arabia.
In UAE we are involved in a number of hospitality projects including the below:
- Gulf Hotel Business Bay. This will be Gulf Hotel Groups first hotel outside of their home country of Bahrain. The hotel will be a 5 star business hotel, catering for both local and international guests.
- Al Wathba Hotel, Abu Dhabi. This is a 5 star desert resort currently under construction in Abu Dhabi. The hotel is due to open towards the end of 2017.
We are also involved in a number of hospitality projects, in Oman, as listed below:
- Dhofar Beach Resort is a new 5 star resort under construction in Salalah, Oman. This hotel will be operated by Shaza Hotels, and will mainly cater for the GGC market. The hotel is due to open towards the end of this year.
- Mysk is a 4 star hotel currently under construction in Muscat, Oman and is due to open towards the middle of this year.
We are also involved in a number of hospitality projects, in KSA, as listed below:
- The Doubletree by Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn in Riyadh is a unique concept where both hotels are to be contained within one building. This hotel is due to open early 2018.
- Courtyard by Marriott, Riyadh is a 5 star hotel we are currently designing in Riyadh.
- Four Points Sheraton, Unaizah, is a 4 star resort we are currently designing in Unaizah, KSA.
Continue article on next page...