UAE firm Amea to start construction on $74m solar plant in Jordan

UAE firm Amea to start construction on $74m solar plant in Jordan
UAE's Amea Power will build a solar plant in Jordan.
Published: 16 April 2019 - 5:30 a.m.

UAE-based Amea Power, a developer, operator, and owner of power assets in emerging markets, has received $59.2m (AED217.5m) for the development of the 50-megawatt Al Husainiyah Power Plant, a greenfield solar park in the Ma’an Governorate of Jordan.

The UAE firm is set to commence construction work on the $74m (AED271.8m) solar power plant, located 200km south of capital city Amman.

Amea Power is the main developer of the Al Husainiyah project with a 70% stake in the development, and the remaining 30% is owned by Philadelphia Solar, a Jordanian company that manufactures, develops, designs, constructs, owns, and operates utility-scale commercial and industrial photovoltaic plants.

Following operational commencement in Q4 2020, the plant will supply affordable clean energy for 42,000 households and cut around 100,000 tonnes of annual CO2 emissions.

The solar park project will use 200,000 solar panels of 330 watt-peak (Wp), which will be manufactured by Philadelphia Solar at its manufacturing facility in Amman’s Al-Qastal Industrial Area.

Netherlands Development Finance Company has acted as the lead finance arranger of the project. The Dutch development bank has provided $29.6m towards the financing requirement, and stakeholders have also mobilised the same amount from Cologne-headquartered development finance institution, DEG.

The project will offer employment opportunities to 375 individuals, including 26 female employees, in administrative and managerial positions.

Commenting on the project’s significance in reducing Jordan’s reliance on imported fuel, Hussain Al Nowais, chairman of Amea Power said: “The country is an important market for us as we recently also reached financial close on a 50 MW wind project in Jordan. We hope that this solar project will stimulate further investments in renewable energy projects in Jordan.”

For companies operating in the GCC, Jordan continues to be a lucrative location for solar power-led investments.

In December 2018, Jordan renamed its $150m (AED550m) Quweira Solar Power Plant as Sheikh Zayed Solar Power Complex in honour of the UAE’s Founding Father, the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. The plant produces 227 GWh of solar power annually, sufficient to power 50,000 homes in the country.

Earlier this month Saudi Arabis's Acwa Power began commercial operations at its 450-megawatt (MW) Zarqa independent power plant (IPP) in Jordan

Click here to add your comment

Please add your comment below
Your email address will not be published