UAE labour company eyes Indian government firm for staff training

UAE labour company eyes Indian government firm for staff training
Sawaeed plans to work with India's NSDC on staff training.
Published: 23 March 2019 - 4:15 p.m.
By: Jack Ball

UAE-based construction recruitment and outsourcing company Sawaeed Holding will partner with semi-government organisation National Skill Development Corporation of India (NSDC) for the $5.5m (AED20m) training centre it is building in Abu Dhabi.

Speaking to Construction Week, Hamad Saleh Ballaith, chief executive officer of Sawaeed Holding, said the UAE company would look to partner or create a joint venture with the Indian organisation, which has more than 80 training centres in the country.

Eventually, staff will be sent to and from the Indian and Emirati offices to receive training in each organisation's offices.

Ballaith said the training centre was initially intended to serve only Sawaeed's staff, but following client interactions, the company “realised that there was a commercial demand for [accredited training] in the market”.

Incorporated in July 2008, NSDC was established by India’s Ministry of Finance under a public-private partnership (PPP) model.

The Indian Government, through the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, holds 49% of NSDC's share capital, with the remaining 51% held by the private sector.

Sawaeed's new facility is being built in Abu Dhabi's Mussafah Industrial Area, and in a statement last month, the company claimed that the structure would be the “UAE’s largest vocational training centre for graduates and professionals”.

Construction on the new facility is more than 60% complete.

Speaking on the group’s expansion plans in the GCC, Ballaith said the employment and training company was looking to enter Oman and Saudi Arabia, noting that the group already has a partner to work with in the kingdom.

The issue of employee training and educational development opportunities is a top priority the GCC's construction market.

Fifty-three percent of respondents to the 2018 Construction Week Skills Gap Survey, published last May, said they did not believe their employer provided enough career development opportunities, while another 40% said they had not received any form of training in the previous 12 months.

Click here to add your comment

Please add your comment below
Name
Country
Email
Your email address will not be published
Captcha