The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, revealed its top 100 rankings in a ceremony at the Euskalduna Palace in Bilbao, Spain on June 19, 2018. Topping the list once again was Massimo Bottura’s Osteria Francescana, a restaurant that first made it to the number 1 ranking two years ago but was unseated by New York’s Eleven Madison Park last year. The results were compiled from an "independent" voting panel of 1,000 judges.
W Dubai - The Palm will be the site of the first restaurant by Massimo Bottura in the Middle East. The Italian restaurant located in the property on The Palm Jumeirah will be called Torno Subito. The property is scheduled to open in September 2018.
Coming in second is El Celler de Can Roca in Girona, Spain, which recently featured in Netflix's Chef's Table Pastry season, while Mirazur in Menton, France, cinched third place. Last year's winner Eleven Madison Park, which was closed for renovations for four months in 2017, dropped to fourth.
The top six places were rounded off with Bangkok's Gaggan and Caterer Middle East April 2017 cover star, Virgilio Martínez of Central in Lima, Peru. The chef was in Dubai last year for the opening of his concept, Lima Dubai.
However the awards was once again criticised for its lack of diversity.
This year's recipient of the 'Best Female Chef' award, Clare Smyth of London's Core restaurant, was left off the list but was quoted as saying: "I'm constantly being asked why we have a lack of female chefs, why we don't see more women represented at the top level ... and why don't we have more diversity."
She said: "We must draw a line under this and make sure we clear a path for the next generation. I for one can't wait until we achieve equality and the debate moves on."
US-based website Eater wrote: "the number of female chefs or co-chefs on the list increased from last year’s three to five: Central by Pia León and Virgilio Martínez, Arzak by Elena and Juan Mari Arzak, Hiša Franko by Ana Ros, Cosme by Daniela Soto-Innes and Enrique Olvera, and Nahm by Pim Techamuanvivit (it should be noted that Techamuanvivit assumed the top chef job this spring, likely after the voting had already ended)."
The full list of the 50 best restaurants in the world.
1. Osteria Francescana; Modena, Italy
2. El Celler de Can Roca; Girona, Spain
3. Mirazur; Menton, France
4. Eleven Madison Park; New York, USA
5. Gaggan; Bangkok, Thailand
6. Central; Lima, Peru
7. Maido; Lima, Peru
8. Arpège; Paris, France
9. Mugaritz; San Sebastián, Spain
10. Asador Etxebarri; Axpe, Spain
11. Quintonil; Mexico City, Mexico
12. Blue Hill at Stone Barns; Pocantico Hills, USA
13. Pujol; Mexico City, Mexico
14. Steirereck; Vienna, Austria
15. White Rabbit; Moscow, Russia
16. Piazza Duomo; Alba, Italy
17. Den; Tokyo, Japan
18. Disfrutar; Barcelona, Spain
19. Geranium; Copenhagen, Denmark
20. Attica; Melbourne, Australia
21. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée; Paris, France
22. Narisawa; Tokyo, Japan
23. Le Calandre; Rubano, Italy
24. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet; Shanghai, China
25. Cosme; New York, USA
26. Le Bernardin; New York, USA
27. Boragó; Santiago, Chile
28. Odette; Singapore
29. Alléno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen; Paris, France
30. D.O.M.; São Paulo, Brazil
31. Arzak; San Sebastián, Spain
32. Tickets; Barcelona, Spain
33. The Clove Club; London, UK
34. Alinea; Chicago, USA
35. Maaemo; Oslo, Norway
36. Reale; Castel di Sangro, Italy
37. Restaurant Tim Raue; Berlin, Germany
38. Lyle’s; London, UK
39. Astrid y Gastón; Lima, Peru
40. Septime; Paris, France
41. Nihonryori RyuGin; Tokyo, Japan
42. The Ledbury; London, UK
43. Azurmendi; Larrabetzu, Spain
44. Mikla; Istanbul, Turkey
45. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal; London, UK
46. Saison; San Francisco, USA
47. Schloss Schauenstein; Fürstenau, Switzerland
48. Hiša Franko; Kobarid, Slovenia
49. Nahm; Bangkok, Thailand
50. The Test Kitchen; Cape Town, South Africa
What restaurants would you have like to see in the listing?
Click on 'Comment' at the bottom of the page to share your views.