Three heavily armed gunmen stormed the luxury hotel Pearl Continental in Pakistan’s port city of Gwadar, killing one guard and attacking two others on Saturday.
According to reports, the Balochistan Liberation Army has claimed responsibility for the attack. The group, The New York Times stated, claimed to be targeting “Chinese and other foreign interests” and also revealed on twitter (in a now deleted account) that they have more attacks coming up.
Pakistan’s local media reported that a security guard who attempted to stop the attackers from entering the hotel was killed, while two others were injured. However, security personnel managed to rescue all the guests and staff members from the hotel, Gwadar Deputy Commissioner Captain Mohammad Waseem told Pakistan’s newspaper Dawn.
Pakistan’s Prime Minister Imran Khan issued a statement condemning the attack.
The Chinese embassy in Pakistan too issued a statement, they said, “Chinese Embassy strongly condemns terrorist attack on PC Hotel in Gwadar. The heroic action of Pakistani Army & law enforcement agencies is highly appreciated. We express condolences to the families of the security guard who sacrificed his life &two security men who were injured.”
This is the second attack to take place on a hotel property after the Sri Lanka bombings that took place on Easter last month.
The Gwadar Pearl Continental (PC) Hotel that has 114 guest rooms, including four suites, is visited by business and leisure travellers.