The crew on Sri Lankan Airlines averted a major disaster on a flight from India after a mobile phone battery in an overhead locker burst into flames.
The crew managed to put out the fire aboard the plane carrying
202 passengers from Kochi in the southwest of India.
The airline said a "major" incident was averted by the quick-thinking attendants on the flight Sunday from Kochi in India to Colombo, AFP reported.
Crew suspected a lithium battery fire and put the luggage in water after failing to stop the smoke with a fire extinguisher, an airline statement said.
The airline did not give the make or model of the battery and the phones involved, but said an investigation was underway into the incident on the Airbus A330-200 aircraft.
No one was hurt.
In October, Sri Lankan Airlines joined other airlines in banning Samsung Note 7 phones from its flights fearing spontaneous combustion.